1. Take Care of Your Diabetes
Make healthy lifestyle choices to keep your blood glucose (sugar), blood pressure and cholesterol close to normal. Doing so may help prevent or delay diabetes-related to your problems, as well as eye and kidney disease.
Work with health care team to make a diabetes plan that fits your lifestyle:
- Know how and when to test your blood glucose and have your blood pressure and cholesterol checked regularly.
- Take your medications as prescribed.
- Eat regular meals that contain a variety of healthy, low fat, high-fiber foods including fruits and vegetables each day.
- Get physical activity every day.
- Stop smoking.
- Keep your regular doctor's visits and have your feet, eyes, and kidneys checked at least once a year. You should also visit your podiatrist, dentist and optometrist at least once a year.