The rates of diagnosed diabetes by race/ethnic background are:
- 7.6% of non-Hispanic whites
- 9.0% of Asian Americans
- 12.8% of Hispanics
- 13.2% of non-Hispanic blacks
- 15.9% of American Indians/Alaskan Natives
The breakdown among Asian Americans:
- 4.4% for Chinese
- 11.3% for Filipinos
- 13.0 for Asian Indians
- 8.8% for other Asian Americans.
The breakdown among Hispanic adults:
- 8.5% for Central and South Americans
- 9.3% for Cubans
- 13.9% for Mexican Americans
- 14.8% for Puerto Ricans.